Sunday, August 4, 2019

Tunnel vision

Light at the end of the tunnel.
On the Sparta-Elroy trail.

To contribute to the Muscular Dystrophy Associtation, click here:  JON'S MDA DRIVE


I am bone-weary, and will be happy enough to end phase one of this long long ride. I've done about 2,400 miles in 50-plus riding days, and more days beyond that at Jimmy's house in Seattle, and even more counting the days I didn't ride for one reason or another.

I have about 85 miles to do over two days, tomorrow and the next day, Tuesday, and then 20 Wednesday from Waukesha in. Should be easy. Should be.

I'm committed to, and want to do, the eastern section, to make it coast to coast, and to ride with my buddy Mark, but I don't think you'll see me doing this again. Other rides, sure. But not this big one.

I've been heading east pretty steadily since Onalaska, over there by Lacrosse, and I have had a love/hate relationship with the trails, finally giving up on them almost entirely in the last couple days and making much better time.  The last straw was finding the trails washed out and closed completely in the little town of Wilton, about halfway through the Sparta-Elroy. It was late in the day anyway and I pulled into the city park and, coasting, carelessly jammed my foot against my front fender and kinked it so badly the wheel was stuck. 

Things were hopping in Wilton -- it was the annual "Wilton Wood Turtle Days" -- and there were volleyball tournaments on two sand courts set up in the park, and softball tournaments under way on the diamond. A band was playing pop covers, and the Lions club was selling food. I made as quick work as possible of my fender problem -- basically ripping it off -- and bought a brat patty and a hot dog and sat down and watched the softball. When the games were over, there was a full hour of fireworks, and then more volleyball.  

It was the kind of party kids will remember and want to recreate when they're in charge. There were two, just two, African Americans in the crowd --  a dad/husband who stayed to himself, and a teen girl who was hanging out with other girls -- and I wondered how Whitebread Wisconsin at Play works for them. 

*

Here's some pix.

A "sign," I guess, back in Bay City, on the Mississippi shore.
Note the photographer under the front wheel. 


Monstrous raptors pondering a meal of an RV in Bay City.

Gary Brone, with employee Kayleigh, in the bike store with attached coffee shop ("World Cup Coffee")  he operates with his son, Mark, in Fountain City, Wisconsin. He has vast knowledge of the bike routes in the area, and his shop increasingly attracts serious bikers after high-end merchandise. he said.
These were not ducks, but geese, maybe? Swans? Everything you see on the river is bigger somehow. 
Into the tunnel I go. You don't ride, but walk. Thank goodness I brought a light. 

My bike repair in progress.
Watching the softball, or not, at Wood Turtle Day.
The volleyball games went on for hours.


Posted in Lodi, Wisconsin, at 8:20 pm August 4, 2019

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jon, If you are still looking for riders for Wednesday morning, I would love to, depending upon when you plan on leaving. Linda

    ReplyDelete