Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Goodbye to the hospital

Left side. Yeah, it hurts. 
To contribute to the Muscular Dystrophy Associatiion, click here: JON'S MDA DRIVE

This ugly bruise on my left hip has faded a little bit since this picture was taken, but it still tells pretty well how far I must have slid. You can almost see the texture of the road. It makes me angry at the young woman driver who "didn't see them." The idiot. Painkillers have made this survivable for a few hours at a time. My biking friend Mark hasn't been as lucky. His scheduled date for the second surgery on his leg was pushed back again yesterday for at a least the second time, leaving him another day with pins holding his leg together, making it impossible to change to change position. I can't imagine.

Me and my little entourage have arrived at home finally from Sparrow Medical Center, in East Lansing. The nurses there work 12 hours three days a week. I have come to appreciate how hard they work inspite of the of the gestapo-like rules -- "more pee or it's a catheter for you?" --  that may be part of the patient experience anywhere.




Out for a bit of air.

Nurse Beth, whose slow-motion slides helped me sort out problems with my swallowing motion. 
Mark with his grandson Jacob.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you are going home, but that bruise, my God. Nurses are amazing, and I'm glad they tended to you as well as they did, as annoying as it can be. Wishing you and Mark continued recovery, Jon. Sending thoughts of comfort, hope, courage, and humor to make this recovery bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally saw the bruise picture. Oy.

    The driver "didn't see you?" Has she been charged? I assume she was on her phone.

    ReplyDelete