Monday, September 30, 2019

Big fat Jon


To contribute to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, click here: JON'S MDA DRIVE

Potatoes, bananas, peanut butter, oatmeal, protein shakes. The doctor said, "Don't waste your time on light meals," and I haven't, and I've gained 10 pounds. That's about a pound every third day -- a lot of eating. I think 10 more pounds will do it, and I hope I can stop. It's become kind of a compulsion. I have to turn some of that into muscle or I'll get a basketball stomach.

I'm still working through insurance forms, adding up my losses, trying to do it like a job. I don't want to ruin anybody, but I do want a new bike -- and that'll be north of $1,000. It may sound like a lot to you car-drivers out there, but that's pretty cheap in a sector where the sky's the limit.

The bike your parents buy you as a kid is utilitarian, and something like a necessity -- to get you to school or around the neighborhood. (Unless, maybe, the new bike is the cellphone.) For many of us, the bike you might buy yourself as an adult is strictly optional, and could smack of leisure and entitlement. You have the time for this, you have the money for this.

But I still want a bike. It's cheaper -- and better for you -- than the gleaming Harley and leather outfit a banker or an attorney might buy himself -- an even more potent symbol of leisure and entitlement.

Here's my bike at present:

Ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Keep chowing down!

    So sorry about your beloved bike, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor blue Surly took a beating. It had many memories and hard earned miles. But...you were due for an upgrade. The special order rims were a sign. A bistro in Montesano fashioned an icon into a stand for their bathroom sink. Pretty cool actually. Keep on truckin.

    ReplyDelete