Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The media and me

Primping
To give: JON'S MDA DRIVE


Perhaps you didn't think I'd amount to anything. Well, let me ask you: Have you been on TV in Glendive, Montana? Are you preparing for a shoot in Bismarck?

This and more, my friends, have I achieved.

It's not just my naturally good looks. No. It's the strength in my legs, my ability to climb hills, and the way I laugh at a headwind. HA!

No, really, it's the MDA drive. Cross-country bikers are a dime a dozen. Well, let's say a dollar a dozen. I mean, it's not quite that easy. But it is done, usually by foolish youth. But to be 61 -- 61! -- with ailments, and to be raising money for others afflicted. That, my friends, is a TV worthy story.

In Glendive I had an audience with Chamber of Commerce director Christa Van Dyke and communications director Brendan Heider. Christa described some of the attractions of Glendive, including Makoshika State Park, Montana's largest state park at 11,000 acres, known for dinosaur fossil discoveries, including triceratops and T-rex fossil remains. Even from outside the park, it is a forbidding landscape, full of very creepy (from a distance!) badlands formations.

I also met there reporter Hunter Herbaugh, of the Glendive Ranger-Review, who interviewed me about my trip, my motivation, my MD (why I talk the way I do, why I walk the way I do), and the fund drive. I said I was at first only interested in the ride, and just, almost on a whim, threw in the MDA fund drive. Now I see the ride as almost subservient to the fund drive -- a vehicle (pardon the pun) to raise money for the MDA. Hunter's story is coming this week, I think. I'll post the link when it's available..

After these discussions Christa took me and bike in her pickup to the KXGN TV station where reporter Denny Malone conducted an on-camera interview with bike and biker. Open the link and scroll down to view! (I wish I had a better speaking voice.)

http://web.kxgn.com/2019/07/08/interview-with-cyclist-jon-olson/


No comments:

Post a Comment