Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Pretty much ready

A fine set of knees.

Been here in Seattle for a week and will leave tomorrow for Astoria, and the big ride starts Friday. Brother-in-law Jimmy and I have taken four big rides here and done some hills, and I feel as ready as I'll be, which may not be saying anything. I am sure there will be desperate moments ahead. We had fun yesterday riding around Puget Sound and back, with a stop midway at the Ballard Locks, where big ships inch their way through narrow little canals, like camels though the eye of a needle. Had great hamburgers at the Red Mill Totem House. There was a haze all day the locals call the "Marine Layer." Learn something new every day.

We had a kind of frenzied 24 hours searching by phone and foot for a couple new wheels for my bike. Recycled Cycles came through, and I hope I have what I need. My aging bike had a couple of worn-out rims, making braking a long, slow thing. (I had to look this up to believe it, that rims can wear out.) We will know for sure when we get to the Astoria bike store. Like I said, learn something new every day.

So, by the end of today, I'll be ready to go. Infinite gratitude to the in-laws here in Seattle -- Jimmy, Mimi, Sarah -- who have put me up and fed me and let me ride with J without complaint. I deeply appreciate it.

Onward!

4 comments:

  1. Onward, indeed! Will be following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be with you all the way -- have a wonderful time -- keep learning something new every day, and keep posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a second I thought that was Van Morrison!
    - B.I.L. V

    ReplyDelete