Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Packed


I'm closer to ready to go. Spent hours and hours on this display, cutting out half the cooking gear I showed last time and a number of things I was fond of but weren't strictly necessary. It weighs in at 41 pounds, more than I would like. And there will be a few additions (tied on the rack, such as tent poles and sandals). If you add 35 pounds for the bike, my total weight will top 75 pounds. Then add me -- at 14 "stone," as Daenerys Targaryen might say -- well, it'll be like driving a truck.

I did some online looking and found one reassuring site that put the typical bike-and-cargo weight range for long-distance bikers at between 60 and 100 or more pounds (like, for example, if you bring your St. Bernard and its kennel), so by that scale I'll be not quite midway.

Clothing was the most difficult thing. It could be darn cold, and it could be searing hot. It could rain, or snow, or not.  I have a light insulated jacket, a raincoat and rain pants -- all packably small -- and a small  assortment of top wear and bottom wear. Probably within days I'll be wearing just one thing day in and day out, changing socks and undies once in a while.

To keep track of it all, I am working on an index. Thus:


It's an index card. When I get a good draft, I'll laminate it with tape and put a string on it so I don't lose it, cuz my memory just can't go there.

I leave for Seattle next Tuesday night and will hang around bothering my relatives until May 30, when Jimmy V will take me and a cousin, Chris, and his friend, Mike, to Astoria. We'll start off Friday May 31, and meet up with old friend Bruce (riding a small folding "clown bike" and pulling a trailer) a day or two later in or near Portland.

I shipped my bike a week ago, and this stuff goes out today. It'll be nice to have that done.

I'm really looking forward to that first mile. And, in my absence, Julie can watch "Say Yes to the Dress" and "Chopped" all she wants.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like your could use a spreadsheet! I know a guy.... -Niece S

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed you are taking this on, Jon. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nicely organized and such pretty bags! We'll see how they look in a month. Safe trip, dear brother! XO

    ReplyDelete