Saturday, February 16, 2019

A speck on a map

Garmin InReach SE+

I got a little GPS for my travels. It connects to satellites, I'm told, and can tell you where you are. It has a whole bunch of functions, but mainly me and the Ms. wanted some way to stay in touch. Last year, in the UP, there were whole days when my cell had no coverage, and I can only think that in the wilds out west, it'll be the same.

I can send any number of preset messages saying, like, "I'm OK," or "I'm in camp," or "My dinner was eaten by a bear," or actually just write a normal message. And then, say, if it's Julia, she'll get a link to a map showing where I am, and she can write back. If she's not too busy.

I have tested it, and it actually seems to work. You have to use it outside, and a clear sky is best, but I used it in cloud cover the other day and my message went through.

Also, it has an SOS button to call out the national guard if I'm in dire straits. It's that red strip on the right side, and the button itself is hidden under a cover so you don't press it accidentally.

I'm anxious to ride outside. But it's 20 degrees today, with snow and ice everywhere, and I'm just too old for that. Too old, probably, to cross the country. Although I was inspired the other day by watching "Lawrence of Arabia." Maybe I should get a camel.

*

For God, Mother and Country, consider JON'S MDA DRIVE.

Thanks everybody out there, we're closing in on $5,000!

No comments:

Post a Comment