Sunday, January 1, 2017

Lazy Sunday

On the lakefront

A beautiful day here. Too warm and sunny for a winter coat.

I skipped church with Mom today and went with Ezra to the family church. A nice, compact sermon on the subject of the calendar, how it came to be the way it is, reaching back several millennia. It's history that works best for me. Facts, as I said before.

We went up and saw Mom then, who had gone to chapel with a nurse. A lot of the old ladies in wheelchairs are just brought down and lined up and participate without fuss, but Mom, with her propensity to stand and fall, apparently needs an attendant.

She had quizzed me a little yesterday when I said I couldn't take her to chapel. Dealing with any normal person, you might just say you can't make it. But Mom, for all her confusion, can still defend her perceived rights. I had to say I was going to "a meeting with Ezra," since if I said church, she would ask to come, and my days of taking her out of the building are over.

The three of us shared a couple of pancakes in the Bistro. She seemed worried as she often does about who was there and who was missing, and she never stops offering her food to others, a kind of over-politeness that maybe she has always had. When we brought her up to lunch, she asked where her mother was and told us to be sure to bring her along.

Overdressed in the park.
Old soldiers don't die, they just become statues.
Douglas MacArthur on the lakefront



No comments:

Post a Comment