Sunday, January 15, 2017

Calling for backup

So I bought these glasses.
Wish I looked a little happier about it.
And wish the picture was in focus.
And, really, I should have shaved.  

To church today. Mom and I both stayed awake, a rarity. She was alert and seemed in good spirits -- much improved from dinnertime yesterday, when she was worried about logistics, once again. She wanted money to tip the servers -- strictly forbidden -- and was agitated. We went to her room and I read her a devotion, but she was too impatient to listen to another one.

She wanted to lay down and we started to move her into bed, then she said she had to go to the bathroom, then went to the bathroom, before we reached the toilet, and I had to call for backup.

But today, better. She was wearing her Green Bay Packer shirt -- there's a playoff game this afternoon, though she won't watch, she never watches -- and nice clean jeans. We got a pastry and coffee in the Bistro, and up her in room I read her a couple of Christmas letters.

I was about to leave, but she said she had to go to the bathroom, then went to the bathroom, again before reaching the toilet, and once again I called for backup.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of a new standard.

*

Beautiful weather here today -- cool and clear, a bright sun shining. I walked home along the lakefront and dozens of ice fishermen were out, grinding into the ice with their huge corkscrews and standing in their snowsuits holding their poles. I've never seen one catch a fish; I think they do it just to get out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment