Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Guest post

Brookfield
Here's a guest post from Julie:

I stopped in at St. John’s yesterday over lunch.  It was gorgeous weather and so I took your mom up to Cranberry to see if I could take her out on the deck up there that is just off the dining room.  She was just finishing what she described as “delicious” apple pie and ice cream (and it did really look good) and when I asked her if she’d like to get outside a bit, she was all for it.  As always, she wondered how I found her.  I think, because she doesn’t know quite where she is, she is amazed when someone pops in.  

Anyway, we saw a few familiar faces up at Cranberry and everyone wanted to stop us and say a warm “Hi Mary!” and your Mom went through the dining room like a visiting dignitary with aides and old friends waving, patting her leg, shaking her hand.  We then went on the porch which was actually a little breezy and cool.  After just a few minutes in the crisp air, and after studying the view and some potted geraniums which were still at peak color, we went back in and your Mom became interested in a nap.  

Because of the new rule about someone staying in your Mom’s room until she’s fully asleep, I had to get back to work, so the aide said to just have her grab some coffee in the dining room nearest her room and have her sit there until they could get her into bed.  

There was a chatty gentleman who was sitting at a table and he welcomed your Mom to join his table as the man he had been conversing with was now fully asleep in his wheelchair.  Your Mom joked that the sleeper was getting a jump on nap time and by the time I left she was having a conversation of sorts with the chatty man still awake at the table.  She seemed quite happy and, for the first time in a while, I didn’t feel the vague depression I usually feel upon saying goodbye to her.  

Anyway, that’s my update.

No comments:

Post a Comment