Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Let's get this party started

 

Amish men on the boat

To contribute to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, click here: Jon's MDA drive.

I took my umpty-umpth ferry ride on the Badger in the last couple years and still found it, well, long. But it does force you to find a way to pass the time. For half an hour I listened to a couple of truck drivers -- long haul truck drivers -- trade secrets of the craft, involving braking and shifting techniques and the brand names they had driven -- Peterbilt, Freightliner, Volvo, International. They had such an easy rapport I wished I had something to say.

And a large extended Amish family had also embarked. The men wandered in ones and twos quietly observing. I saw one old man at a table playing, I'm pretty sure, sudoko. The girls wore bonnets and cloud-blue dresses and the boys wore suspenders and every last one of them was strikingly good-looking.    

I śaw a grandmother or two, and felt bad for an 18-20 year old girl who was assigned to child care and led the younger children through the boat like ducklings. 

*

Ms. V took me to the ferry this morning, Jamison riding shotgun, sorta.


Tomorrow I actually pedal!





2 comments:

  1. A belated short answer to the question regarding the disabled child… (this is a common question and my response is not coming from a judgmental place at all). Simply act as if the child has no disability at all. It’s the caregivers role to coach you if needed. If the child appears nonverbal you can still greet, make a comment, and engage. The absolute worst thing you can do is look away and ignore. Disabled people are a marginalized population and doing that just exacerbates that feeling.

    ReplyDelete