Monday, August 14, 2017

Make it do


Recent Mom art
I went Saturday. Mom had already been to art, and I attended the baking session with her. There were about eight of us there. Mostly we all watched while Hildur, the new activity woman, from Iceland, made a kind of quesadilla, with two big tortillas sandwiched together with a filling of Brie cheese, apple slices, walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon, with a little squiggle of caramel syrup on top. It was all heated up in a kind of toaster she had brought. Pretty darn good.

Mary -- a different Mary -- told us about her husband's saying:

Eat it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without

Katherine said she had heard the last line, "Throw it out." So we debated that. I see online that the first line could be, maybe better, "Use it up." But we were eating the enchiladas, so we were eating it up. 

Mom does art pretty well, I think. This one, above, is her own work. Sometimes they do art by everybody starting with a blank page, doing something on it, then rotating the pages around the table, creating a set of community pages.

She has her obdurate moments. Sunday, at church, I was pushing her forward (in wheelchair) for communion, and she kept grabbing the pews as we passed and holding on. I couldn't figure out what she wanted. Did she not want communion? Hard to imagine. So I would lift her arm off the pew and put it in her lap. Finally, about after about five of these, I hissed, "What are you doing?"  

She grew quiet. Sullen, I think. And of course I felt bad. We got a brownie after church, which I cut up and saturated in coffee, and fed to her little by little. "That is so good," she said. Nothing like a brownie to bind the wounds.

*

Going on a big bike ride next week, and I'm so excited.

Mom and Betty at Singalong


Ain't it pretty





1 comment: